Thursday, September 28, 2017

Reading Week 6 Part A: PDE Mahanharata

These reading notes are taken from reading PDE Mahabharata found here: http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/mahabharata-online-public-domain-edition.html

As always, I will just be taking notes on things I can find interesting or things I can use for my upcoming stories.

I like how it was two godly figures that created both Ramayana and Mahabharata, it gives them a more mystical feel.

How did a king's semen just happen to fall in a river??

Devavrata is an interesting character since he is a human but has godly powers.

That fisherman asked A LOT from King Shantanu in return for his daughter.

Bhishma sacrificed a lot just to get his dad a pretty young bride, I wonder why he wanted to do it.

It is a little ironic he is doing all these things just to secure the throne for his little half-brother, who took the throne from him.

Bhishma seems similar to Rama in that they are both seemingly the best archers to ave ever lived.

This image of Bhishma fighting for the brides was my favorite from reading A:

I'm interested in seeing the story of Amba unfold throughout the story. Her transformation is pretty dark by today's standards, I like it!

I wonder if Pandu will be as great of a king as Rama. The story of how Karna came to be is not unlike greek mythos of gods having children with mortals.

I just realized the hunting accident in Ramayana is just like what happened to King Robert in Game of Thrones!

At least Pandu wasn't killed like King Dashartha.

Lots of curses involve things of sexual nature in India, Epics...

It's silly that the wives are arguing over who gets to burn to death.

The main thing that differentiates this epic from Ramayana so far is that there is more time covered. It has already been 50ish years from the beginning of the story, and I am only halfway through part A.

I bet something crazy will happen between the Pandavas and the Kauravas. Of course Duryodhana would use posion. What a bad person.

Drona seems like a nice guy, I hope he helps out the Pandavas/


No comments:

Post a Comment