Friday, September 29, 2017

Story: Sita the Eternal Flame

Note: This story takes place when Rama captures Lanka and retakes Sita. He is questioning her loyalty, and considering throwing her in a great pyre.

Source: PDE Ramayana http://ouocblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/pde-ramayana-sita-is-tested.html

Now Sita, hearing all of Rama's foul accusations about her and Ravana, was publicly shamed and tired and wondering what she could do to recover from this. No matter how much she begged or pleaded with Rama, he stood by his views that it would be unfit for a king to take a queen that has lived so long in the house of another man. Rama then suggests giving her a trial by fire- if she is indeed pure, she should be unharmed.

His army of bears helped put together a great pyre for Sita, and when it was all finished, practically the whole city was gathered to watch what was to unfold. Sita looked positively radiant as she made her way up to the great pyre. All that looked upon her were marveled by her beauty, except Rama. He has already come to terms with Sita's demise; he knew in his heart she wasn't loyal

As Sita was situated on the pyre and ready to light, she said a few last words. She looked directly at Rama, and spoke to him, "Rama, my once beloved. You will come to regret these actions. Know that." And with that, Rama gave the command, and the pyre was lit.

Sita began screaming louder and louder as she lit up, until, suddenly, she cried out to the god of fire, Agni, and immediately burst into ashes, and was never seen, in her human form again. For when she called out to Agni, it was not to save herself, but to put a curse on Rama, Agni could see that she was pure and did not deserve such a harsh death, so he had allowed Sita to avenge herself in some way. From now on, whenever Rama lit a fire near him or there was a fire near him, it would be Sita's face he saw in it, and Sita's voice he heard in it. He could never escape her, if he wanted light and warmth for the rest of his life.

Sita on the Pyre

And with this knowledge, Rama grew regretful in his hasty and harsh actions against Sita, and he begged her and the gods forgiveness. But none was given.

Author's note:

I wrote this because after I read about Sita being almost burned alive in Ramayana, I thought of all the ways it could have gone worse, and wanted to test out an idea I had,

4 comments:

  1. Great story here Brady! I had some similar thoughts when I read the story about the fire challenge. I thought it was really stupid that Sita would have to get burned alive to prove herself and there were so many worse things that could have happened had she gone through with it. I really like the ideas you had in this story. Well written and cool ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brady,

    I wrote my story about the similar topic. I was so upset with that scene especially at Rama for making Sita go through way more than she already had before. I liked the way you wrote the story. Especially the ending, where Rama is cursed by testing Sita's love. I like the thought of Rama's being always haunted by Sita's spirit, whenever he sees fire. I was thinking about doing the same, but then I hated the Dhobi character, who spread the rumors about Sita carrying Ravana's child so I decided to punish him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi brady!

    I see that you too have a bit of saltiness at the ending of the Ramayana. I quite appreciated this alternative ending in which Rama is very clearly proven to be an Asshole to Sita here. You did well to make it feel very much like one of the stories we have read so that it could almost be the official ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brady,

    What is up my man! This story is out of controooool. Great job on everything. The characters, setting, plot, and just everything. This was a great story, really not sure how you could top this bad boy. The ending was really fun to read, great job on spinning it from the original. I really enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading another.

    Brooks

    ReplyDelete