Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Week 4 Reading Notes: Ramayana Part D

For the last part of this version of Ramayana, Part D, I will continue taking notes that I think will help me for the story.

Source: PDE Ramayana

It's interesting how even Rama performs sacrifices to gods, it shows how common it was back then. Also like the mention of his celestial weapons.

All the gods respect Rama so much they build him a bridge to attack Lanka.

I like how crafty Ravana keeps proving to be , if only that messenger wouldn't have come in and made Sita realize the battle was still going on. I can probably write a story where sita is fooled.

It is interesting how quickly they add new characters to the story, but it does make sense since it's an epic. It's kinda cheap how Indrajit could just make himself invincible.

Rama didn't seem too upset from his brother's death..

Garuda is a great guy.

That picture of Kumbhakarna from the blog is awesome, so I went and found another one here:

If Rama wouldn't have been there to stop Kumbhakarna, everyone would have died.

It is crazy how many celestial weapons both armies are using.

I like how even back then the Himalayas were renowned for their size and beauty.

It is a little silly that Hanuman actually picked up a mountain and set it on top of Lanka, although it is very creative!

I liked the cunning of Lakshmana to set up the ambush and kill Indajit.

I am actually feeling a little sorry for Ravana, since his most beloved son was slain.

So now that Lakshmana seems to have died for real, Rama seems distraught. But wow these Himalayan herbs are quite powerful.

I like the prose describing the weapons given to Rama from Indra.

The wise-man giving timely advice is a very common trope, but it works out in this epic.

These celestial weapons are really the key to everything in Ramayana, if you have some, you are unbeatable! I like how Rama was named king of Lanka, where at least he can rule.

It's been so long since Sita has even seen Rama, I wonder what will happen!

Wow that was an interesting decision Rama made to decide not to take back Sita. You can see how back when this epic was put together, the culture still put a great deal of value on a woman being "untainted". I like Sita's answer to all this though.

It is kind of ridiculous Sita had to have fire vouch for her.. and Rama wouldn't believe her on her own. I like the little narration Rama tells when they are flying to ayodha.

The reunion of brothers was a little touching to me, because I have two brothers.

I was really expecting the story to end with Rama's crowning, this Sita exile situation is a real twist I don't like how Rama still questions her purity, even after the fire said she was pure. What's up with that? Also, why is he so sad that she ascended into heaven, even though he exiled her for 16 years

The ending was nice, with Rama and his brothers returning to a heavenly state, even though I felt like Hanuman got a little slighted by not being allowed to join,

No comments:

Post a Comment